Beacon Media has been offering assistance to Fijian Primary schools and kindergartens since 2011. We are greatly concerned about the declining literacy and numeracy standards. This is due to overcrowded classes of up to 50 students per class, limited printed resources and lack of ongoing teacher training.
We support schools by:
1. Conducting seminars for teachers
2. Training Teacher's Aides who will provide literacy assistance to non-readers one-on-one, working with children in Years 3 and 4.
3. Conducting literacy testing with school students.
4. Making available printed resources, particularly literacy materials.
We work in conjunction with Suva Christian Community School and Youth With A Mission, Fiji.
In May 2016 Beacon Media held a fundraising concert in Berwick, Victoria, Australia, to assist Fijian schools.
Beacon Media is also encouraging Fijian schools and churches to work with us in fund raising. In October 2016 the Fijian youth of Calvary Temple performed a musical play, a true story from Fiji's Christian heritage. Proceeds from the performance went towards schools.
Cyclone Winston has devastated many schools in Fiji - not just the school buildings but also educational materials. While there is international assistance for rebuilding, many schools will be left without educational resources for months to come. Beacon Media is assisting four schools in the cyclone devastated region, by training literacy assistants and providing literacy materials.
Greatest needs of Fijian schools
- Basic school supplies
- Reading books for children
- Computers, Printers, Printing ink
- Photocopiers and funds for photocopying
- Laminators and funds for laminating
- Financial assistance for Teacher’s aides who are currently volunteers
Make a financial contribution to Beacon Media ministry
Reports on Beacon Media Fiji ministry trips